Afro hair picks are a staple in the black hair community, and we’re not just talking about your dad’s legendary collection from his high school days. Long before popular picks had a black fist, they were used in ancient pre-dynastic Egypt over 6,000 years ago.
Chicago Comb Model 7 Carbon Fiber Pick Comb, for Long Thick Curly & Afro Hair, Black Color, 6 inches
This carbon fiber Afro hair pick by Chicago is the most proven and best hair pick on the market with an almost perfect 5 stars out of hundreds (quickly approaching 500) Amazon reviews.
Getting the right style and look of your curly or afro hair is always a challenge. Afro hair can be unruly and unmanageable, and it can be hard to get the exact look you want when you need it. The Chicago carbon fiber hair pick is designed to help those with thick curls get the vibrant and voluminous look they crave.
The hair pick design is made of sturdy and reliable carbon fiber for long lasting use. The handle is designed to fit comfortably in the hand, and provide a proper and stable grip for the hair styling process. This is the perfect addition to any hair care routine for those with dense curls and afro styles. One of the best things about carbon fiber, in addition to be extremely sturdy; it is naturally anti-static.
- Sturdy carbon fiber pick which is tapered for comfort and safety.
- Professional quality build.
- Perfect for all styles of curly and afro hair.
- Naturally Anti Static
- Rounded and Smooth Edges so it won’t catch
LEADUWAY 3 Pcs Hair Pick, Metal Picks for Afro Hair, Hair Picks for Women and Men
Tight curls and afro style hair need durable and reliable hair picks to style them correctly. Hair picks give volume, reduce frizz, and help to style tight curls without damaging them. Lift and boost your hair today with this metal toothed ultra light hair pick!
It has a message that is appropriate to current events.
Other hair picks are designed with plastic single mold teeth which are prone to chipping or breaking during use. The Leaduway hair pick is made with steel needle picks that are tough, and will not bend or break even when picked through the toughest of hair. This means that you can rest assured that you are getting a reliable product that will last. Get the look you want with our steel toothed hair pick today!
- Stainless steel teeth for superior lift and durability during use.
- Non-slip plastic grip that fits perfectly in the hands.
- Professional grade hair care accessory.
- 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed!
Cricket Ultra Smooth Hair Pick Comb infused with Argan Oil, Olive Oil and Keratin
This extra smooth single mold plastic hair pick is the perfect hair care accessory for curly and dense hair types. It allows for easier hair management by adding in volume without combing completely. Users can have the look they want without worrying about painful combing procedures or making their hair look frizzled and damaged.
This hair pick is ideal for all types of curly and afro hair, and is perfect for professional or personal use. Hair stylists and barbers alike rely on picks like this one to get the perfect look, style, and cut for their client. Now you can have this professional quality hair styling tool at your disposal!
- Extra smooth design allows the pick to glide through the hair pain free.
- Ergonomic shape fits perfectly in the hand for added comfort during use.
- Perfect for all styles of afro and tightly curled hair.
- Ultra smooth
- Doesn’t leave residue
- Reduces frizz
Beomeen Hair Pick Hair Picks for Curly Hair Comb, 2 Pcs Smooth Afro Pick
This durable and reliable plastic hair pick is the perfect blend of old school familiarity mixed with modern design. Users can smoothly lift, pick, and detangle their hair with this simply designed composite hair pick. This pick is perfect for all types of curly and afro hairs, including long beards.
This hair pick features the old school design of classic hair picks seen in salons and barber shops all across the world. You can trust that you are getting the same build quality, functionality, and comfort of use that you have come to expect from your hair picks. Shop classic, and get the perfect hair pick for your curly hair.
- Classic design with a timeless shape and look.
- Fully plastic body which is smooth to the touch.
- Perfect for all hair types, even facial hair!
- Durable plastic composite that will not break during regular use.
User Guide and Questions About Afro Picks
Afro Pick Pros and Cons: What to Know Before Using a Pick
Whether you’re new to using a pick as part of your everyday haircare routine or you’re looking to dust off some old combs from years ago, there are some pros and cons to keep in mind.
• Big, beautiful curls are possible. Big hair is a surefire way to help you stand out from the crowd, but be careful when you use your pick. You’ll want to stay away from it until your twist-out, wash ‘n go, or braid-out has completely dried. If you attempt styling before then, you’ll cause some major frizz. You can prevent frizz by combing up to an inch or so down from your roots.
• It’s cheap and widely available. With so many haircare tools on the market today, a simple at-home styling job can be pretty expensive. The afro pick, however, is one simple yet effective tool that won’t cost you an arm and a leg. Good picks sell for just a few bucks unless you’re on the market for a more unique or bespoke comb.
• A variety of options are available. There are so many picks to choose from, including ones made of plastic or metal. You’ll also find them in a variety of colors, but the physical construction of the comb matters. If you have finer and more loose curls, you’ll want to select a plastic pick for gentler grooming. If your hair has a kinkier texture, your best bet is a sturdy metal pick.
• Breakage is possible. Any hair damage as a result of pick usage may seem like a nightmare. However, it will only become reality if your pick is incorrectly used. Many of us focus on protecting the ends of our curls, but you really should be paying more attention to your roots when using a pick. Regardless of what style you’re looking to achieve, always avoid combing from roots all the way to the ends of your curls. Not only can this lead to severe hair damage, but you’ll likely wake up with a massive headache too.
• Don’t get too used to it. While you may love styling with your new pick, be careful not to overdo it. Over-use of any tool can lead to long-term damage. It’s in your best interest to find ways to style your hair without relying on your pick daily.
How to Properly Use a Hair Pick
• Always moisturize or at least slightly dampen your hair prior to using a pick to comb through it. Try using a spray bottle to easily apply water, serum, or conditioner.
• After dampening hair, divide it into different sections if it is long and thick enough. If your hair is relatively short, there’s no need to section it. Hairbands can be used to section hair for easier grooming.
• Once hair has been sectioned, apply moisturizer to each section. Any water-based moisturizer will work, or try a natural moisturizer such as shea butter or coconut, jojoba, or olive oil. Just be sure to watch the amount of moisturizer you apply as too much can make your hair too slippery.
• Grab hold of your afro pick and separately comb through each hair section. Comb gently from your ends to your roots. Comb each section using this method until you’ve completed all sections. Finally, comb your entire head from front to back to ensure that your hair is tangle-free after the combing process.
Should You Be Using a Plastic or Metal Afro Pick?
Whether it’s for added volume or next level froth, your hair drawer needs an Afro pick. But should you be using metal or plastic? Short answer—both.
Since then, picks have changed very little. There’s still no better tool for adding volume to kinky hair but it’s important to know your way around this little game changer. The wrong tool or technique can cause serious breakage and possibly abrasions on your scalp.
Our fragile curls only deserve the best.
Plastic picks are gentler. For fine hair, these are the clear winner. Looser curl patterns may even reach for one to distribute product, plastic picks are great at that. If you like to rock a completely picked out ‘fro, you should certainly use a plastic pick for this as well. Although they may be far more gentle and versatile than their metal counterparts, don’t count them out just yet.
Metal picks may look like a path to certain breakage, but when used properly they are an absolute godsend, especially for thicker hair and tight curl patterns. To get more volume in your twist-out or fake a more tapered cut, simply part your hair and slide in a metal pick. After a few short strokes (into your roots only), move on to the next section. Use care and control to avoid scratching your scalp. For added protection, try dipping your Afro pick into a little coconut oil.
What does your pick collection look like?
Metal? Plastic? Long spickes or short? Reach for your plastic Afro pick to pick out ends, distribute product, or volumize loose curls; but 4b-4c hair types may want to leave the serious root lifting to a metal pick. Always try to get as much volume as you can with your fingers first before whipping out any comb, brush, or pick.
Carbon fiber composite is far more suited to making an amazing hair comb or hair pick. By using an ultra high quality carbon fiber composite, they make the combs into the best designs possible, while still retaining the great natural attributes of carbon fiber (strength, anti-static, etc.).